Every volunteer in Scouting is required to complete some training which is tailored to their role. Your training can help you learn new skills to support you in getting the most from your role.
We run regular training courses through Zoom for most of the key modules.
Our adult training programme is split into three sections, which are detailed below. Volunteers start with critical safety and safeguarding modules, before moving onto training that will help with the core skills of bring part of a section leadership team. Lastly, there are a further set of modules to broaden a volunteer’s knowledge.
If you hold the role of Section Leader or Assistant Section Leader, we will expect you to validate all these modules within three years of starting. For some modules, you’ll likely want to attend one of our training courses, whereas you may already have the skills to validate other modules right now. It’s worth a chat with your Training Advisor or Group Scout Leader to agree what’s right for you.
If you are a Section Assistant, the only requirement is the initial training modules in Step 1 – but we encourage you to do other modules too, as these will help you to support the delivery of a great programme. You are welcome to book on to any of the training courses we run. Again, do speak to your Training Advisor or Group Scout Leader if you’re unsure what’s best.
There are initial training modules that we are all required to complete within the first five months in role. The learning for these modules can all be completed online.
Once you’ve completed the e-learning for each module, then please send a screenshot or photo of the certificate to your Training Advisor or Group Scout Leader.
You’ll also need to have a conversation with your Training Advisor or Group Scout Leader about other training to help you in your role.
Once you’ve completed these items, you’ll be ready to move on to the next stage of your training.
Once you’ve done the initial training modules (above), we suggest that you focus upon the modules set out below, as these provide the key information to help develop your skills. We offer regular training sessions, held on Zoom where possible, to help with these.
This set of initial modules is:
- Delivering a Quality Programme – how we deliver quality Scouting, and make sure it meets young people’s needs
- Programme Planning – how we plan and review our programmes
- First Aid – the skills and knowledge to enable you to manage an incident and provide basic first aid
- Running Safe Activities – how we plan and run exciting but safe activities
- Skills of Leadership – tools to help us to effectively lead young people and other adults
- Administration – information and best practice on how we manage administrative tasks in Scouting
- Promoting Positive Behaviour – tools for promoting positive behaviour and managing challenging behaviour
Once you’ve completed all of these, then there are a final set of modules for you to complete which will broaden your knowledge and experience, helping you to run an even wider range of engaging activities for your section. Completion of these will result in you receiving your Wood Badge, the sign that an adult has completed their leadership training.
The final set of modules is listed below. In many of these cases, you may already have some of these skills, or may have developed them through your time volunteering with the Scouts. Where this is the case, then you don’t need to attend a course – instead, speak to your Training Advisor or Group Scout Leader about how you can be signed off for it. Otherwise, courses are available for these modules.
The modules are:
- Practical Skills – helping you to gain and teach practical skills
- Fundamentals of Scouting – how do our Fundamentals and our Religious Policy help you to deliver a balanced programme
- Scouting for All – practical advice about how we can all ensure that Scouting is inclusive for everyone
- Changes in Scouting – an overview of Scouting’s history, and how it continues to develop to meet the changing needs of society
- Introduction to Residential Experiences – helping you to understand the part that nights away from home play in our programme
- International – an overview of the international focus of Scouting, and how this features in our programme
- Supporting Young People – sharing the varied needs of young people, and ensuring we all create a supportive environment for everyone
- Growing the Section – ways in which we can all contribute to the growth of our Section or Group
- Working with Adults – key skills and techniques for working with other adult volunteers
Once you have completed all the modules, you will be presented with your Wood Badge, the sign that an adult has completed their leadership training. In certain key areas (safety, safeguarding and first aid), you’ll still need to keep your knowledge up-to-date by completing regular refresher training.
First Aid Training
First Response training is available to all adults in the Scouts. Due to the restrictions in place as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, our First Response requirements are currently a little different to normal.
If you have never held a First Response certificate before, or if your last First Response certificate expired on or before 16 March 2020, then you will need to undertake a three-hour e-learning course. You don’t need to complete it all at once. This e-learning is kindly provided to us by Hampshire Scouts. There are some practical parts of the syllabus which can’t be completed online; we will run practical sessions once Covid-19 restrictions allow us to.
If you had a valid First Response certificate as of 17 March 2020, then the validity of this certificate will be extended until six months after Swindon returns to the ‘Green’ readiness status. At this stage, you therefore do not need to undertake any further First Response training (but you are welcome to complete all or part of the e-learning linked above, if you want to brush up your skills).
If you’re unsure about your training needs, then please contact us – we will do what we can to support you in all the skills you need.